Monday, September 26, 2016

A Spoonful of Sofrito: Chinatown's Bassanova Ramen

A Spoonful of Sofrito: A pinch of advice that will add a lot of flavor to your life. 

Chinatown's Bassanova Ramen/Mini-Review!


Sofrito Lovers.

This weekend, I had a wonderful bowl of ramen at Bassanova Ramen in Chinatown and I couldn't wait to blog about it!

Located at 76 Mott St., Bassanova Ramen may occupy a small space, but has a huge following with its reputable foodie awards and countless raving reviews. The restaurant space is sparse and simple; it features bare white wooden walls with a few seats at the sushi bar, a large family style table, and a few smaller tables for two.  It's not much to look at, but it's clean, simple, and uncrowded.

I stumbled onto this gold mine completely by accident; I was walking aimlessly down Mott St. trying to find a nice place to have a late lunch and suddenly Bassanova's simple black white lettered sign caught my eye.  Being a ramen fan, I decided to give it a try and as the old saying goes, "Fortune favors the bold!"

The first thing I ordered was the Minced Beef on Japanese Cucumber!  I loved its simplicity and bold flavors; it was simultaneously salty, spicy, and refreshing. The pairing of salty and piquant beef on a cool earthy cucumber was utter genius!


After my wonderful appetizer, I enjoyed the Tondaku Ramen, which is made with Berkshire pork, Kikurage mushroom, fried ginger onion, crushed sesame, nori, and scallions.  The flavors melded together perfectly; the earthy mushrooms, salty nori, and tangy ginger truly made this ramen a masterpiece.

The soup noodles had a delightful aldente chew and the portion size was excellent!  Some ramen places can be really stingy with the noodles, but not Bassanova! It was a pleasure to slurp up those long strands of noodles! It's okay to slurp your noodles in Japanese culture, it's considered complimentary! 


Folks,  I love Bassanova Ramen and can't wait to visit again.  I hope you do the same; I'm sure you'll love it!  Now, get your butt to Chinatown and enjoy an amazing bowl of ramen!  Go taste for yourself!  ¡Buen Provecho!


No comments:

Post a Comment