Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Spoonful of Sofrito: Cuban Sandwiches/Cubanitos

A Spoonful of Sofrito: A Pinch of advice that will add a lot of flavor to your life.

Cuban Sandwiches/Cubanitos!


Sofrito Lovers,

When I was a kid my father would take to the "Flor de Broadway" bakery/coffee shop/sandwich place on W. 139th St. and Broadway so we could enjoy their delicious Cuban treats.

My father would order Cuban style espressos with a Croqueta de jamon (Ham croquette) and he would treat me either to a lemonade with a croqueta or a delicious Cubanito sandwich.  For the unenlightened, a Cubanito sandwich is an amazing work of sandwich art, that combines roasted pork, ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles with either butter, mojo, mustard or mayo.  It's made with pan de agua o de manteca (Water or Butter bread) and pressed flat on a sandwich press; these days people are using panini presses, which I don't like.  These sandwiches can be found in almost any Caribbean Latino neighborhood with a myriad of variations.

Being a self proclaimed Cubanito conosuir, I've traveled throughout our fair city tasting Cubanitos anywhere I could find them.  I've loved and despised many, but the best are made at home!  

The article posted below, from Serious Eats, features a great recipe for a Cubanito, which I plan on making this weekend!  I'll let you know how it turns out!  But, don't wait for my post to see how it turns out!  Make your own! Read it, make it, and taste for yourself.  ¡Buen Provecho!

Cuban Sandwiches Recipe

 
 
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When Past You gives Present You leftover Cuban roast pork, first you drink a toast to Past You for the generosity and forethought (a mojito is both thematically and gustatorily appropriate), then you pay it forward by making a Cubano sandwich for Future You.




No comments:

Post a Comment