Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Spoonful of Sofrito: Chinese Girl Tries American Chinese Food!

A Spoonful of Sofrito: A pinch of advice that will add a lot of flavor to your life.

Chinese Girl Tries American Chinese Food!


Sofrito Lovers,

I remember the first time I visited a Puerto Rican restaurant in Cuba, I was ecstatic to try the food! For two weeks, all I had eaten was Cuban style Congrí (Black beans and rice stewed together), Boñato (Caribbean white sweet potato) and baked chicken almost everyday.  I was dying for a change and if a taste of my own culture was the alternative, then I was all for it.  

I assumed the food would be wonderful because Cuban and Puerto Rican cuisine are similar, but I was very wrong.  The Cuban interpretation of Boricua cuisine was horrible!  It all tasted like Cuban food; it was full of cumin, had no sofrito, and no cilantro.  I was both shocked and deeply disappointed.

When I saw the post below, from Laowhy86, on my YouTube feed, I had to watch and then share it.  I know exactly what the young lady went through!  It can be disheartening to experience your cultural cuisine be misinterpreted, but on the bright side, it makes you appreciate it more.

Watch the video below, laugh, and then call your mom and ask her to make you some good home cooking!  Go taste for yourself!




No comments:

Post a Comment